Teacher Training January 27-30, 2022 (Toms River, NJ: Antibiotic Bioprospecting)
This teacher training course was developed in collaboration with SOC, Dr. Adrian Pinto’s lab at the University of Costa Rica (UCR), Dr. Cameron Curry’s lab at the University of Wisconsin - Madison (UW): Dr. Gabriel Vargas, Ibrahim Zuñiga and Caitlin Carlson. In this course, teachers will learn how to run a bioprospecting research lab at their school. Specifically teachers will:
- isolate bacteria strains (Actinomycetes) from insect samples,
- establish isolate morphologies and other bioassay-determined characteristics,
- co-culture isolates for antimicrobial inhibition against antagonists
- use polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and electrophoresis to amplify and separate isolated genetic material by gene length,
- analyze 16S rRNA genetic sequence results to establish likely phylogenetic ancestry using MOLE-BLAST and MEGA, and
- learn how full genetic sequencing and antiSMASH identifies biosynthetic gene clusters (BGCs) that encode novel pathways for secondary metabolites with potential medical applications.
Training Workshop Details
Dates: Jan 27-30, 2022
Location: Toms River High School, Room B-7, 55 Hyers St, Toms River, NJ 08753
Instructor: Dr. Gabriel Vargas (UW – Madison)
Recommended Hotel for out of town participants (there are many more in the area, particularly on the ocean side (Ortley Beach area):
- 815 Route 37 West,Toms River, NJ 08755
- (732) 341-2400
Class begins on Day 1 at 9 am. Daily schedule is 9-12, 1-4 pm (except last day, ends at 3 pm)
Want to pay by check?
Please feel free to pay with a check.
- Please complete this registration by clicking the orange "Add to Cart" and later the orange "Checkout" button.
- When you reach the payment stage, there will be an option to select "Manual Payment".
- You will be provided with this mailing address:
- Seeds of Change
- 1680 Shadywood Rd,
- Wayzata, MN 55391